We still have a couple of weeks to wait for approval and then scheduling. If we're lucky, we might be bringing the Contractor Chaos back to Woodhaven after the 4th of July. Cue fireworks.
This little Intra-Construction Interlude has been beneficial, though. We have now had plenty of time to adjust to the idea of our lazy summer being shanghaied by water and mold. And we have developed a list of escapey day-trips when the disruption really gets to us. Because it will. I know us. I'm actually looking forward to rediscovering stuff almost in our own backyard.
There have also been a number of little gifts the past month and a half. Learnings, discoveries, insights, attitude adjustments. Really, it's all good!
- I discovered that bath gel has an expiration date. Who knew?!? And, somewhat related, it had apparently been a long time since I checked the amenities in our "other" guest bathroom. We're all up-to-date now and won't be getting cancer from an ostensibly rancid Ocean Breeze. Phew!
- We did quite a lovely job designing our guest bathroom remodel a few years ago. I love the tile work! And, even 6 weeks of daily use later, the WOW THAT'S GREEN accent wall still makes me happy. We did, however, forget to furnish the bathroom with a vintage clock. Duly noted and rectified.
- So many travel soaps! So many being used now!
- I now know what a crawl space, central vacuum lines, and interior plumbing all look like. Without having to do much more than peer past my feet with my hands on my hips.
- The weird dizzy vertigo head spinny thing I have been seeing doctors on and off for the last two years suddenly disappeared with the moldy wood and drywall. Feeling so much better now! I am not allergic to mold but evidently in large enough quantities, it can be a real head-spinner.
- We get to fix the (our fault) misplaced shower head! For free! Sorta.
- I found some old Ray-Bans inexplicably living in our now-emptied closet. They are quite comfy after all these years. I am eagerly waiting for a drooling 20-something to comment on them so I can brag that they are actually from the '80s.
|Aren't they rad?|
- It's odd how quickly you get used to seeing a port-o-potty on your property. Or maybe that's just me.
- Rojo the Llama has a new fan at USAA.
- Making "Our House" by Madness the ringtone for all the contractors and insurance people makes me happy to get their calls. Especially while wearing my newly rediscovered vintage sunglasses.
- Desperate to feel in control of something, our office is now extraordinarily clean and organized. Our guest room closet is next.
- Hearing our insurance adjuster say, "I just looked at the photos. Wow, you had a lot of mold," was strangely reassuring. As was hearing her say, "For someone whose house is torn apart, you sure sound happy." (See "Rojo's new fan" above.)
- Cat barf? Overly enthusiastic Tabascoing of one's lunch? Eh, so what? Spill, barf, and stain all you want World, we are getting new carpet soon!
- The billowing plastic walls are keeping our boy cat quite entertained. As long as he doesn't decide to try to attack the creature obviously living on the other side, we're good.
So you see, it hasn't been a completely wasted 6 weeks of waiting. But frankly, I think I've learned all I need to during this phase. Onward to "Let's Get The Game Plan Approved!"