Monday, July 28, 2014

Jet Packing at the Fair!

It's almost time!!! 3 days, 19 hours, 51 minutes, and 14 seconds to go. Not that I'm counting or anything.

The FAIR is almost here!!!!!

I'm in prep mode, in amongst house guests and some volunteer stuff. Come Wednesday afternoon, though, it's All Fair All the Time. You've been warned.

I am blogging again for the local newspaper. YAY! I've already posted a few entries (July 16 was the first one). They've improved their overall website but finding their blog page is a bugger. So, if you want to follow along on the newspaper site as well, go to this link and then click on the little +Follow in the bottom right corner. Enter an email address and you'll receive an email every time I post a blog for the Columbian.

This year, I am shaking things up a little for the two blogs. Fasten your over-the-shoulder harnesses.

In past years, I have been staying up waaaaay too late in the wee hours blogging the elephant ear grease off my fingers. Between two blogs and lots of photos to sort through and then upload, I wasn't crawling under the covers until 3:00am or later. A couple days of that is doable but 10 days straight was doggone exhausting.

So Rob helped me come up with a new approach for blogging for the newspaper. Hopefully it will get me more sleep while also providing a distinctly different reading experience for those who manage to find me.

The plan is that I will still do nightly blogs here as usual, candidly summarizing the day's events and culinary exploits. However, for the newspaper, I will be blogging as I go. Yep, live and on-the-spot! I'm going to be cutting edge! Without a Smartphone or tablet! How? How is she going to do it??

Technology willing, I will be toting around my travel netbook and a newly acquired mobile hotspot. It is basically Wifi in a pocket. Verizon advertises it as a "Jet Pack." Oooh, space agey! So space agey, I had to go to two stores to find one since so few people use them anymore. Because most people have, you know, Smartphones and tablets.

Using my high-tech gadgetry from 2011, I will be posting several shorter blogs every day on the Columbian site from within the Fair's gates. I will be spending Thursday (also known as T minus 1) learning how to do this. Hopefully then I'll just have Woodhaven Ramblings to focus on when we get home each night. With lots of tantalizing food photos to share. Mmmmmm.


2 comments:

Carol In Salmon Creek said...

I am so excited - because the Fair is coming and I'm going again this year AND because I'll get to read all about the latest & greatest adventures at the fair. Maybe I'll even see you there...I'll be the other person wiping elephant ear grease off my hands & face or slurping a peach shake from the Dairy Women booth. BTW - the Clark County Dairy Women sponsor the Relay For Life of Vancouver also which just happened last weekend (and I'm the event co-chair again next year.) Next year, I've asked them for peach shakes at our event...I'm hoping they can make it happen as once a year is just simply NOT enough!! Thanks - Carol in Salmon Creek

Toni at Woodhaven said...

Carol, I'll look for you! But you'll have to introduce yourself just so I'm sure. :-)

As for the milkshakes, great idea for your event! If you are at the Fair on Saturday (Aug 2), stop by the Dairy Wives barn between noon and 2:00. That's all I'm saying...for now. :-)