Saturday, August 15, 2015

THE FAIR 2015 ~ Day 8

We had to set an alarm this morning because the electrician was coming to reinstall some lighting in our cabinetry. Imagine my surprise when the first thing I heard on the radio were the words “Clark County Fair.” Although the station was running a contest and giving away free tickets to the Fair, my first thought was “The Fair -- it’s EVERYWHERE!”

Today was sort of a little bit of this, little bit of that day. No major events, no legendary photos to frame. Just a meandering day sprinkled with little moments that are quintessentially FAIR.

Rain, glorious rain
It rained today! Everyone was so happy! Well, except for the Smashers vendor since sales were down.  It only got to 68 degrees, a blissful change from the high 80s/90s and humidity we have not so quietly endured the entire Fair. It felt very strange to wear pants today and not be slathered in sunscreen. The respite is already past tense, though. Back to sun and 80s tomorrow and Sunday.

The sign will advertise sunscreen tomorrow



Teenagers are so fun!
I finally got to meet a teen friend’s boyfriend! SO nice to finally put a voice and personality to all the pictures I’ve stalked on Instagram. And SO fun to embarrass the heck out my friend when I told her boyfriend how adorably cute and giggly she gets anytime she talks about him.  From my stalking I know the feeling's mutual so I really wasn't tattling too much.  Nevertheless, the 50 shades of red on her face were priceless.  Thanks for the show, Hannah!


Does anybody really know what time it is?
As we were strolling along, a kid about 11 or 12 stopped me and asked if I knew what time it was. I looked at my watch (yes, I still wear one) and told him, “It’s about a quarter to 2.”

To which he replied, “In other words….”

I stared at him, having no idea what he meant so I repeated myself. He still looked confused but then his buddy caught on.

“Dude, it’s 1:45. Don’t you know what ‘a quarter to’ means?”

I then showed the kid my watch thinking that might help.  It didn't.  There's a really good shot he doesn't know who to read a clock with those handy thingys moving around.

I am still dumbfounded.

Timeless. No watches anywhere.



Sugar wars
While we were waiting for the Demolition Derby to start, one of the cotton candy guys started yelling at someone below him.

“You’re cuttin’ me off, man!! Stop it!!”

A number of people looked a little scared, thinking the high-strung candy man was yelling at them.

Instead, it turns out he was decidedly peeved with another cotton candy guy who apparently didn’t understand the intricate rules of etiquette and territories when one is hocking spun sugar on a stick.

Maybe cutting him off wasn't such a bad idea...



Toasted Buick on a stick
The afternoon's Demolition Derby included a heat of newer, more plastic, less reinforced cars. They are fun to watch because they fly apart faster and with more distance than the traditional metal tanks of the '60s and '70s.

One car was disqualified early because it had a little fire under the hood.  It stayed off to the side and was babysat by a guy with a fire extinguisher.

The show was great fun, but the after party was even better.  We lingered in the stands to watch the carnage being cleared.  The one hot car just wouldn't cooperate.  It kept catching on fire.  The motor sports employees kept dousing it with water, but much like one of those funny birthday candles (unless it's your birthday, then not so funny), the flames just kept coming back.



Eventually they decided it was safe enough to look under the hood.  Except that the hood was really hot and was bolted down with two chains.  And that's why God invented forklifts.





Best quote of the day
While standing in line for chicken strips and commiserating quietly about the woman at the front of the line who thought you could haggle on the price of dinner:

“It’s the Fair. Just open your wallet and let the money fly out.”

Truth.


Hey kids, get off my bench!
Rob and I have a bench. We consider it Our Bench even though it has a commemorative plaque with someone else’s name on it. Whatever.

Our Bench is in the Big Air Conditioned Building and we annually and repeatedly park ourselves there to cool down, rest, and gaze at the canning display. The bench is also somewhat near the building’s entrance, so it is a good spot to be able to greet friends who invariably wander through.

This year, I have honestly been rather miffed that Our Bench has been occupied about 90% of the time we have wanted to use it. Being the compassionate, giving people that we are, we have refrained from asking the squatters to kindly move along. But it has still been rather inconvenient.

Today, perhaps because of the rain and the reduced need to find respite indoors, Our Bench was ours! Finally!

Our bench comes conveniently equipped with its own trash can.



I thought he was having a hissy fit
In the middle of the Demolition Derby tonight, something happened that I had never seen before. A driver of a stalled car actually got out of his car, threw his helmet on the dirt, and went storming towards the exit. This while other cars were still banging and crashing and kicking up dirt all around him. Another driver right next to him got out of his car, too, and I was certain they were going to start punching each other out.

Instead, it turns out the first guy was as mad as a cotton candy vendor about a bad call by the derby officials. Eventually the red flags were flown, the derby stopped, the officials reconsidered, the driver got back in his car, waved thanks to the second guy, and revved up and joined the chaos when the green flags returned.

While I finally understand why he did what he did, I am still questioning the judgment of going on a walkabout in the midst of a demolition derby. I'm wimpy that way.


I would have bet on me, too
As the evening was drawing to a close, another teen friend came running up to me while we were in the milkshake line and asked if I would be willing to videotape her if she went on the Sling Shot ride (it’s pretty much what it sounds like). I suspect I looked sort of confused...because I was...so she went on to explain:

“My mom said I can go on it if you videotape me.”

Still confused but curious, I accepted Rob’s blessing to leave him to his milkshake. As I was swimming upstream to the exit, Mom yelled out, “HEY! You’re LEAVING the milkshake line?!?”

Turns out Mom…who knows me well…thought she had a sure bet that I wouldn’t leave food behind at the Fair simply to watch her daughter go on a crazy carnival ride. Unfortunately for Mom…but lucky for Maddie…I had just finished some pie and the milkshake was for Rob.

So off we went to the Sling Shot, Maddie working her magic to convince a friend to join her in the madness. The friend wasn’t so sure, despite the fact that he’s a bull rider and was shrugging off having been stepped on by a bull a couple of nights ago. But, well, Maddie is very effective...and cute.

Reports are the Sling Shot is super fun, you barely know you are spinning, the view was great, and they would both do it again. Did I mention teenagers are fun?




Fair Day Data
  • Total walking logged on my pedometer: 3.18 miles
  • Time at which we saw today’s first set of Magic Brooms being carried around: 2:12pm
  • Re-entry hand stamp: very inky rooster


Fair Food Feast Parade!
I feel like I ate a lot today. We’ll see once I go through and post the pictures. I am finding that the deep fried stuff feels like a pound of dough in my stomach. Not a real pleasant feeling and one that lingers for quite a while. This doesn’t necessarily mean I will stop eating those delights; I just need to have them earlier in the day.

Starting off the day with a fantastic grilled cheese sandwich
called The Rancher.  Chicken, cheese, bacon, tomato, and ranch dressing.
Mmmmm!



Making my way through the Smashers menu.  This one was
orange and tangerine.  It tasted like a healthy Tang.  I have
tried 3 of their drinks and so far I don't have a favorite.
They are all so good!



Helping Rob with his seasoned fries from the Burger Buggy.
Not sure if it's the MSG or the next entry that is the source
of my headache.  Ugh.



Taking one more for the team!  Deep Fried Twizzler Twinkie.
They stuck some Twizzlers in the middle of a Twinkie and then deep fried it.
Two days ago I was told they weren't doing them this fair because they
were a bust in Sacramento.  Well, all I can say is it helps to know Eric.
In any case, The Review:  Better than I was expecting!  Once I
was able to gnaw off some Twizzler, it tasted like a cherry Twinkie.
Turns out cherry Twinkies are pretty good!  It was a little
challenging to eat, though, since the Twizzler didn't melt
or change its consistency in any way.  Bottom line:
better than the bacon wrapped peanut butter cup and I would
have it again once I worked through other things on the menu.



Corn!  Fiber is good this time of year.



Chicken strips!  I like to dip mine in a ranch dressing-Sriracha sauce
blend of my own invention.  Trick is to sneak the Sriracha when
that lady at the yakisoba stand isn't looking.



Am I the last to know that Barq's root beer has caffeine in it??
Oops.



Sneaking in some late night Church Ladies pie.  Strawberry
rhubarb.  Mmmm.  And no, not a la mode.  It seems
ridiculous to say right now, but ice cream always
seems like too much with a piece of pie.



No comments: