Friday, November 13, 2015

Welcome Aboard, It’s Loooo-oooo-oove!

Rob and I have a favorite way to unwind from a busy day. Yes, it’s exactly what you are thinking. We watch old reruns of “The Love Boat.”

We started watching them on Netflix several years ago after returning home from a Princess cruise. We had had such a fantastic time, we basically wanted to relive it.

Recently, the POP cable channel started dedicating every Thursday to back-to-back-to-back episodes of the star-studded goofery of the classic ‘70s television show. We have quite a collection recorded and ready for end-of-the-day mind-candy. I can tell you that in Season 1, they didn’t have the guest star’s pictures in the wheel icon. After Season 2, Captain Stubing stops saluting you. During Season 4, Vicky joins the crew. Yep, lots of unwinding going on at Woodhaven.

Over the summer, several months into our rather prolonged reconstruction from our Water Leak Mold Issue, Rob and I got a little punchy and decided we needed to go on a Love Boat cruise. Not just a Princess cruise, a Princess cruise to Mexico.

This was quite a surprising decision since neither of us particularly like Mexico. To point, Rob refused to join me and my mom at my grandparents’ time share in Mazatlan 20 years ago. And 15 years later, we both literally ran back to the safety and familiarity of our Panama Canal cruise ship when we stopped in Acapulco along the way, we hated it so much. We agreed that day, while enjoying free cookies on the Lido Deck and gazing out over the total ick that was Acapulco, that we would never ever return to it – nor likely Mexico – again.

But, well, television is magical. And we watch a lot of “The Love Boat.” So for the past week, we have been on the Ruby Princess cruising the Mexican Riviera. Ole!

We (ok, mostly I but Rob has graciously indulged my goofiness) have worked very hard to create our very own Love Boat Experience.

As we arrived at the Port terminal in San Pedro, I got very excited to discover that the parking lot and drop-off area is largely unchanged from the opening scenes of the ‘70s. I was sort of bummed, though, that we were arriving on a shuttle bus instead of a ‘50s style yellow checkered taxi like in the show. It would have been even better if Jimmy JJ Walker had been our driver.

We approached the gangway to board the ship and I started heading to the “priority boarding” shorter line that had a modern-day switch-back ramp. Rob grabbed me by the shoulder and pointed at the longer line. It was using the same metal submarine-ship-like archway that is used in the show. OMG!!

“Even though you have that special card, do you want to wait in line to go through the arch?” Rob asked fully knowing the answer.

About 10 minutes later, I got to confuse everyone except Rob by taking this picture.



Finding our way to our cabin on the Caribe Deck (Deck 10), my iPod announced our arrival with several repeated plays of “The Love Boat” theme song. I tried not to sing along too loudly. Oddly, none of the crew members we passed seemed fazed by our musical accompaniment. Perhaps that song fills the hallways more often than I think?

We got settled, started unpacking, and noted how the port looks totally different now than in the ‘70s and ‘80s. Tons more cranes and container ships and general busy-ness in the enormous port now.

An announcement was made that we were about to set sail. It didn’t work exactly like I was planning (they are a lot harder to throw than I expected), but I nevertheless surprised Rob by throwing some confetti streamers at him on our balcony. In my head, he was going to be covered in streamers like Silly String by the time we pulled out into the ocean. Sadly, not so much.


Instead, we decided to tie a few of the streamers to our railing in an effort to be festive. Soon after, some Canadians below us deemed us “party people.” I’m pretty sure they are relieved that our partying began and ended with railing streamers at the departure from each of our four ports.

Several “Love Boat” episodes refer to Puerto Vallarta as having “the best margaritas.” I gave my best effort to confirm this. We even went to a tequila factory! (I’m very dedicated.) However, I must report that the best margarita I had in Mexico was in Todos Santos (about an hour north of Cabo San Lucas). More on that in a blog to come.

I did, however, quite enjoy a signature drink on board our ship. Personally invented by Ted Lange to commemorate 2015 being Princess’s 50th birthday, “The Isaac” is white rum, lime juice, 7-Up, and grenadine to make it red like his bartender jacket. According to the very effective “commercial” showing on our in-cabin TV, the bartender was supposed to serve “The Isaac” to me properly by doing the double-fingered double pointy thing. He didn’t. So I did it instead.


We also spent some of our At Sea days in search of iconic locations around the ship, fully aware that the ship we are actually sailing on is much larger and much younger than the original Pacific Princess. In fact, the original vessel star of the show no longer exists. Yes, I almost cried when I learned that. All that groovy wood paneling and nubby upholstery, wasted.

Anyway, with that in mind, I give you The Couch at The Window on which many difficult conversations happen. You know, like when that guy had to tell his girlfriend that he was falling in love with her mother? Or when that other guy had to tell his new love interest that he was actually hired by her suspicious husband to trap her for divorce court? Yeah, that couch. This couch.


We also found The Railing at The Back of the Ship By the Flag Pole where many moonlight conversations and first kisses happen. I am happy to report that much like the show, nobody was anywhere around when we hung out there for a spell. Love – life’s sweetest reward.


Sadly, we could only go so far to have the Total Love Boat Experience. I think you have to be some sort of really fancy person – or pay lots extra – to get to sit at The Captain’s Table. And actually, I’m not sure where his table is cuz I never saw it. But he must eat, somewhere.

We also stopped short of buying a piñata to bring home or carrying around an enormous sombrero. However, the nice people at the ship’s gift shop were very kind to let us use their inventory for props, so at least we have this. If you are on our Christmas card list, you will very likely see this photo again in a month or so.


Stayed tuned for one more report of Rob and Toni’s Mexico Adventures! Hint: tequila, The Eagles, and a “Mexican limo” are involved.

1 comment:

Janet Kinser said...

I love that you two like an old show that takes me back to a simpler, delightful time in history. You would be perfect on the Love Boat show. I can see you in many roles. Hooray for ways to rest the mind.